Saturday, March 16, 2013

An Unexpectedly Wonderful Afternoon

A few weeks ago, my boss mentioned that she'd been invited to a blogger meet up.  She asked me if I'd like to go.  I said sure.

I never imagined that this morning would involve a bus ride up a windy, mountain road somewhere in the Tuscan country side.  I never thought about a villa.  And the possibility of eating wild boar for lunch never crossed my mind.


The event was put on by Tuscany Now, a company that offers luxury villa rentals in Tuscany.  They invited bloggers from the area to come and enjoy a lavish lunch, stunning views, and incredible hospitality- for free.  All they asked was that we'd come home and blog about it.  I was the youngest one there, with the least visited blog, eating wild boar and drinking wine.  And I didn't have to pay for the food or the networking.  Essentially, it was a classy college student's dream.














In addition to the food, there was live Tuscan folk music provided by a bunch that was just as much a comedy troupe as they were a band.  I also go the chance to meet some American women living in Florence, all of whom are at the other end of their 20s.  They all have incomes and fulfilling personal lives- which was immensely reassuring.

Today, everything clicked.  Introducing ourselves wasn't awkward.  There was no small talk.  There were people sharing their thoughts and their stories.  Sharing themselves.

An event like this would never happen at home.  It would be too formal, too uptight.  There would be condescending people and fake people.  There would be a lot of small talk.  And there wouldn't be wild boar.




 Time moves more slowly when the bottles are
Uncorked.  Have a glass.  Have another.  Here we diet for our
Souls, not our waistlines.  This is the land of Chianti
Classico, after all.  And whether you've come from far
Away, or just down the street, there is a journey to be had.  I can only
Narrate my journey.  I implore you to make the most of
Your own.  And bring a corkscrew. 





























(If you're interested: http://www.tuscanynow.com/?gclid=CNP4n97sgbYCFYKN3godcCcAbg )

(Also- this blog isn't the only place I'm on the internet! http://www.magentaflorence.com/magenta/week-by-week/free-historic-art-show/ )

No comments:

Post a Comment