Monday, September 10, 2012

Una notte con la famiglia, e la prima giornata

There is nothing like a family dinner with an Italian family- especially MY Italian family.  Zia Antonella is the BEST cook.  She can make anything taste good.  Last night we had baked rigatoni with eggplant,





 two different kinds of peppers,





 broccoli rabe, sausage, and of course, bread and wine.  (Red wine with peaches- my all time favorite summer beverage).  For dessert, we had baba`, a typical Neapolitan dessert.




Every time I am able to be with my Italian family, I am so grateful.  Family has always been the most important thing to me, and so it is difficult to be so far away from people who are so important to me.  But every time we are together, it's as if we haven't been apart.  Last night two of my other uncles came for dinner, as well as my grandfather.  It was beautiful.  I especially enjoyed being able to share this experience with Ellen and Liz (the friends who are here with me).  Family dinners like this one are an important part of who I am, and i am always happy to share it with my friends.  Besides, my family is a lot of fun.  


We, of course, did first night in Italy shots.  I'm not sure how many people have done vodka shots with their grandfathers, but I can now say that I have.



After nearly 40 hours without any more than a catnap on the airplane, we finally went to sleep around 11 on Sunday night.  My aunt woke us up around 10:30 this morning, though it took us a while to get moving.  My aunt anticipated that, and so we didn't have any grand plans.  We took a short trip into Naples, to an area called Mergellina.  It is right near the water, with a beautiful view.  We did a lot of walking, ate lunch and had our first gelato.  The first of many, I'm sure.  We came back exhausted, and are relaxing for the rest of the evening.  We are going back to Naples tomorrow, for a longer trip, so I'll write more about the city afterwards.  For now, enjoy some pictures.






A dopo!

No comments:

Post a Comment