Sunday, September 9, 2012

Napoli


The famous German writer Goethe once said “Vedi Napoli e poi muori”, which means “See Naples and then die”.  It could be interpreted in a number of ways, I guess, but for me, and for many others as well, Goethe was referring to its beauty.  It is so beautiful, you could die.  Or perhaps once you’ve seen it, it’s okay to die.  The city is that beautiful. 

However you want to interpret it, there is no denying the beauty of Naples.  There is the natural beauty- the bay, the mountains, Vesuvius.  There is a historic beauty, one that could only come from the rich and unique history Naples has.  Napoli comes from the name of the Greek city Neapolis, which means ‘new city’.  After that, it was Roman.  Other important influences were the periods of French and Spanish rule, then Italian Unification, and up to today.  Additionally, given its location, Naples has always been a destination for merchants and travelers from around the world, which gives its dialect, art and architecture a large variety of influences. 

Then there is the beauty of the food.  Neapolitan cuisine is just SO GOOD.  The best pizza, the real mozzarella, as well as some other well-known Italian specialties, come from Naples.  Neapolitan food is simple, based on what is fresh and available.  A lot of vegetables, pasta, and all things that come from the ocean.  Rustic, soul satisfying, and full of love and passion.  Just like the people.  You will never meet warmer more hospitable people than the people of Naples.  They are so happy to just be alive, and don’t let anything get in the way of enjoying life.  And if you open yourself up to it, they will invite you to join them in that enjoyment. 

My dad was born and grew up here (he came to the US in the mid 1980s).  All of his (very large) family is still here.  So before heading up to Florence, I am spending a few days at my zia Antonella’s house.  Zia means aunt.  Then there is her husband, my zio Filippo, and my cousins, Matteo and Alessia.  I brought two of my friends with me (they are going to be in Florence with me as well).  I am looking forward to showing them the city where my family comes from, as well as having them spend time with my family.

We arrived just this afternoon.  We’re relaxing now, and doing a family dinner later this evening.  The next few days we will explore Naples, see lots of cousins, and get used to speaking Italian!  (We’re all a little nervous that we’ve forgotten some this summer).  Then on Thursday, my aunt and uncle are driving us up to Florence! I still can’t believe that my adventure has begun.   

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! love this blog you've started. My stomach immedaitely started growling at the first mention of Naples food (obvs), and the rest of it sounds amazing. I can't believe I still have never been there, but hopefully that day is verryyyyyy close in our futures! Miss you lots cant wait to continue reading :) xo Cousin Jenn

    ReplyDelete