Sunday, September 9, 2012

It begins...


I am in Italy.

Did you get that?

I, Emilia Gambardella, am in Italy.  This makes me a lucky person.  And I’m not just here for a vacation.  I am here until June 2013, if not later than that.  This makes me an incredibly lucky person. 

Allow me to elaborate.  I am spending my junior year of college in Florence.  Smith College, in addition to the multitude of impressive programs and offerings, happens to have the oldest American study abroad program in Italy, and I am participating this year.  Back in high school, I wasn’t sure of exactly where I wanted to go to college.  All I knew is that I wanted to study abroad in Italy.  I come from an Italian-American family (my dad was born and raised in Naples, and my mom’s paternal great grandparents came from Italy a long while back).  It always felt like the right thing to do- to go back to the place where my family came from, and to learn as much as I can about it.  So I thank God for guiding me to the school with the oldest and perhaps most unique study abroad program in Italy. 

The program, in addition to being long standing, has many other merits as well.  Unlike a lot of other study abroad programs, every class I take this year (some through Smith, some through the University of Florence) will be in Italian, and they will all count towards my GPA.  I will be living with a host family in Florence, and many aspects of my life this year will be those of a typical Florentine college student.

Throughout this year I will update this blog with stories, pictures, my thoughts and experiences.  It’s a lot easier than writing a bunch of emails and letters home, and it will help me to remember as much as possible.  Feel free to share it with whom you like.  

I have no doubt that my year in Florence will be indescribably beautiful.  But first, Napoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment